Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Avocado on the Go & a Savory Salad

Wholly Guacamole = easy
I am like a dog with one trick to my repertoire when it comes to a favorite flavor.  These past couple of weeks I've been hooked on a few dried fruits, nuts & a quick quesadilla with a side of guacamole.  The quesadilla I seriously believe is that South of the Border connection which makes so many of us in the greater southwest yearn for all things seemingly Mexico. I grill it my quesadilla or toast it up in the morning, cut  it into quarters once it cools & then pack it away for later in the day. Smoked turkey has been my favorite lately, the turkey seems to complement the avocado well & I don't overcook the outside of the quesadilla so later on the texture of the tortilla is still soft enough to use for dipping that avo.  Thank heavens for the Wholly Guacamole which is so convenient for packing into lunches. Sure, it's easy enough to mash a few avocados however this guacamole is ready to go & that pouch of green goodness is ready to tote along for lunch.  I can forgo the mashing of the avocados in the early hours when I'm making a quick meal for lunch on the run. 
My favorite new container for lunches right now is a cheapo item I stumbled across which makes salad transport quite easy.  The "Salad Break" while not fancy is smart with the tiny container for dressing sitting on top.  I believe I paid under $2 for this cute container.  I've been hooked on a kale salad lately which travels well & fits perfectly into this cute new container.  I became obsessed with a similar salad at Whole Foods. I love the way this salad stays crunchy even after the dressing is applied. It makes for a perfect lunch box tote.  Give it a try & start packing that lunch!
I love the way this salad stays crisp long after the dressing tops it!



















Savory Kale Salad
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon lemon or orange pepper
Salt to taste
2 bunches kale, stems and tough ribs removed, leaves chopped
1 blood orange, sectioned & chopped (skin & any seeds)
4 tablespoons dried cranberries
3 - 4 tablespoons pistachios


In a large bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, lemon pepper and salt. Add kale, toss to combine then garnish with blood orange, cranberries, pistachios & serve.


In a large bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, lemon pepper and salt. Add kale, toss to combine then garnish with blood orange, cranberries, pistachios & serve. 
The "Salad Break", container is great lunchtime addition.

No comments:

Post a Comment